Kenya sports some great shopping malls which will attract anybody, and are perfect for hanging around. Let’s see some of these fabulous places.
1. Village Market, Nairobi: Located in Gigiri, Nairobi, Village Market is an upscale shopping mall sprawling over an area of 20,000 sq ft. Two Kenyan brothers started this market in 1995 which has 150 stores. Starting from tourist and ending in casual visitors, village market is a favorite destination for all. You get a broad range of choice from fashion accessories, electronic equipment, and African artifacts.
One of the events that interest me is the traditional dance that takes place here. Starting from recreational facilities, food court, food stores and some promotional events that take place throughout the year, this shopping mall attracts visitors from all walks of life. Diplomats and expatriates love to spend evenings and weekends in this mall.
2. West Gate Mall, Nairobi: Opened in 2007, West Gate Mall is one of the finest shopping centers in Nairobi. Situated at Westlands, this mall suffered the worst terrorist attack ever in 2013, claiming a large number of lives, and wrecking the mall altogether. Kudos to the spirit of the Kenyans, the mall again rose with its head held high in 2015.
Be it branded accessories, eateries, African artifacts, electrical gadgets, food joints or some zonal offices; you can find everything in the mall. It’s a fantastic place to hang around with friends. You will find traditional African attire, artifacts and other objects of interest.
3. Two Rivers Mall, Nairobi: Inaugurated in 2017 by President Uhuru Kenyatta, this mall is one of the latest in Kenya. Sprawling over an area of 11 acres, it’s one of the largest malls in sub-Saharan Africa. The mall proudly showcases global fashion leaders like LC Waikiki, Swarovski, Carrefour, and Zara. You may enjoy a cup of coffee in Attibassi or get entertained in Magic Planet.
4. Nakumatt Nyali, Mombasa: Situated beside Nyali Bridge, this mall is one of the biggest in Mombasa. Open 24 hours a day, Nakumatt Nyali is a major attraction for both visitors and residents. Sporting various well-known brands, Nakumatt Nyali is a great place to hang around on the weekends. Nakumatt is a famous Kenyan supermarket chain which has three branches all over East Africa that attract buyers of all profile. You may halt here for a sumptuous lunch and then carry on with your site seeing activity while you are in Mombasa.
5. Akamba Handicraft, Mombasa: If you are fond of home décor, never miss a visit to Akamba Handicraft. Established in 1917, Mutisya Muge started selling his carvings to the army men. Today it has almost 100 workers and 2800 active members. It has some mesmerizing collection of animal carvings, decorative carvings, masks and ornaments, human sculptures, functional carvings and abstract art. The mind-boggling artwork will get a permanent place in your dining hall to impress your guests.
6. Sarit Center, Nairobi: Sarit Center is one of the city’s busiest shopping centers. Situated in the heart of Westlands, Nairobi, this shopping mall will impress you with the list of national and international brands showcased. The ongoing culture show, exhibition and promotional events conducted here are the main attraction for any visitor. If you are fond of sweets, savory and Indian spices, then your hunt ends here. A perfect place to spend weekends, Sarit Center is one of the most desired places to quench one’s shopping spree.
7. Diamond Plaza, Nairobi: Situated in Nairobi, Diamond Plaza is a luxurious shopping complex which accommodates a 22 story building, six cinema lounges, restaurants, and cafe. Diamond Plaza is one of the oldest and biggest shopping centers known to each Kenyan for the boulevard of the international brands it displays. The unique plan, design, and architecture of the building once took the media by storm. You will find various food courts, food stores, offices and other recreational activities.
8. Diani Beach Shopping Center, Diani Beach: Located on Diani Beach, Mombasa, this is one of the famous shopping centers of Kenya. Having a plethora of shopping options, the Diani Beach shopping mall has one of the best collections of accessories, food courts, and electronic gadgets. If you are a visitor in Kenya, never miss a chance to visit Diani beach for a sumptuous lunch break.
9. TRM, Thika Road: TRM mall in Thika is one of the modern state-of-the-art shopping malls of present times. Having a collection of international and national brands, TRM is one of the busiest hubs during the weekends. Come to shop for your wedding or might be for a movie, TRM will entertain you with all possible facilities.
10. West End Shopping Mall, Kisumu: If you are in Kisumu, never miss the opportunity to chill in the west end shopping mall. You will surely appreciate the enormous collection of international and domestic brands or may indulge yourself in the pleasures of having an excellent meal at the food court. You will be amazed to find the myriad of artifacts, paintings, sculptures, books, and merchandise.
Kenya is a perfect combination of amazing wildlife, excellent hospitality, and modern accessories. It preserves both modernity and primitive tribal life with utter perfection. Kenya and its treasured assets coupled with the hospitality and warmth of its people are unforgettable. And as far as shopping is concerned, you have the best of the malls here to quench your shopping spree.